Sunday, January 16, 2005

Evernote

Ok, I realize I'm starting to sound like a commercial for 3rd party products, but seriously this stuff is making my life easy. In any given year I use well over a hundred different pieces of software, only few I can't live without. So now I bumped into another piece of software, and I had five minutes to spare, so I gave it a try. And a day later, I have this long list of things I'd like to see it do. In other words, it's a keeper.

I always have a text editor open with multiple tabs. Most of these tabs are scratch. I use them to record stuff I'll need to recall later on, like the number of the person who just called me. I use it to edit text before copying it someplace else, usually for Web forms. One tab is dedicated to my notes file. That's where I keep all the stuff that I need to remember later on.

It's like a blog, a continuous stream of data. But it's one long piece of text, with no clear demarcations, and it's not easy to work with it. Sometimes stuff gets deleted, because I know I'll never be able to find it. Sometimes I just wish I could replace it with a blog, and have it Googled. But it's all personal sometimes work related stuff, so it's not going on the Web.

And that's exactly what EverNote is doing. It's a simple metaphor. One long ticker of notes. Each time you add a note, it gets appened to the end of the ticker. You add stuff at the end, but you can always roll back to see stuff you've added before. Each note is its own thing, so you can focus when you need to edit it or get some long forgotten data. It has categories for easily classifying stuff, and a cool search feature that lets you zoom on the few notes that matter. And a timebad, so you can access notes in chronological order.

One day working with it, and it already looks like a keeper.

1 Comments:

Track comments(item)
Blogger nomadichermit said...

ooh! me too me too! me want me want! please? pretty please with a nekkid zoe on top? or on bottom, whichever...;P

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

1 Comments:

Blogger nomadichermit said...

ooh! me too me too! me want me want! please? pretty please with a nekkid zoe on top? or on bottom, whichever...;P

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home